The new generation of the world’s favourite sports car has been completely redesigned from the ground up. Lower, lighter and perfectly balanced, Mazda MX-5 takes the roadster experience to a whole new level.
Whether you’re hitting the road in our classic soft-top, or taking things up a notch with the all-new Retractable Fastback, it’s time to experience the thrill that occurs when driver and car become one
Mazda MX-5 2.0L Roadster Retractable Fastback (RF)
- Max power 118 Kw @ 6000 rpm
- Max torque 200 Nm @ 4600 rpm
- Advanced keyless entry
- Advanced keyless push-button engine start
- Airbags SRS: front (driver and passenger) and side
- Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability
- Retractable Fastback
- Climate control air-conditioning
- Cruise control
- Daytime running lamps (LED)
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- Headlamps (LED)
- Headlamps auto on/off function
- Hill Launch Assist (HLA)
- i-Stop Standard
- Leather seats
- Leather-wrapped: steering wheel, handbrake handle and gearshift knob
- Limited Slip Differential
- Internet radio integration (Pandora®, Stitcher™ and Aha™)
- Multi-function Commander Control
- Black coloured mirrors
- Premium Bose® 203 watt amplifier with 9 speakers
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear-view mirror with auto dimming function
- 7-inch touchscreen display (MZD Connect)
- 17-inch Alloy wheels
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Lane Departure Warning
The hard top doesn’t take up any extra trunk space compared to the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata, which offers 4.6 cubic feet of trunk space. The Miata RF’s hard top folds into the same space as the soft top, so consumers won’t need to sacrifice any more space when considering the RF model against the standard car.
The hard top’s design doesn’t disrupt the side profile or jut from the rear fender. During the design process, Mazda placed the shut lines of the retractable top above the crease line. Thanks to a combination of engineering and design, the Miata RF achieves that coupe-like appearance without dramatically affecting the overall look of the car.
Mazda MX-5 RF New Display
The Miata RF features a unique 4.6-inch color display next to its instrument cluster. The softtop offers up a black and white display that shows the temperature, fuel level, and trip computer, but the RF’s TFT display will also feature vehicle graphics, such as when the roof is opening or closing. The hardtop will also get exclusive Nappa leather, while the softtop will only offer regular leather on its Grand Touring model.
Mazda MX-5 RF Driving Position
Drivers and passengers might find the Miata’s cabin more accommodating, as the RF does without a seat height adjuster and has a tad more room for taller drivers. Removing this feature saved a bit of weight on the Miata RF, which is 80-100 pounds heavier than the softtop.
The Miata RF has the fastest retractable hardtop in the industry. In just 12.5 seconds, the new RF’s top goes from fully closed to fully opened, and can do this at speeds up to 6 mph. The hardtop utilizes the same motor found in the third-gen model’s hardtop, but has been tweaked to offer faster opening and closing times.